Officially starting with the AMC Eagle back in 1979, the crossover SUV segment saw a slow movement till 2000, post which, there has been a sudden surge in their demand. To follow the trend, almost every other car maker across the globe came up with their version of crossover SUVs and even the luxury brands such as BMW and Audi pitched in with their products as well. Americans’ love for SUVs of any shape and size compelled the car brands to come with multiple versions of crossovers and the compact along with the subcompact segments of the crossovers saw the highest demand among the entire crossover segment. The reason is their compact size and excellent fuel economy, putting them in the same league with sedans while having an edge over the latter for their higher ground clearance.
The street presence of these compact SUVs improved drastically over time and buyers with a tight budget also could have a crossover owing to the wide price range these vehicles come with. Among the prominent SUV manufacturers in the US, General Motors has taken up a sizable chunk of the market with its wide range of products with the Chevrolet Trax being the least expensive compact crossover on sale in the country. The Trax was launched back in 2014 and is continuing as a first-generation model. The 2022 Trax comes with an upgraded powertrain and some other minor updates as well. Now, the SUV is powered by an all-new 1.4-liter turbocharged four-pot motor that belts out a maximum of 155 horsepower along with 177 lb-ft of torque. The price of the latest Chevrolet Trax starts at $21,400 and it competes with the Ford EcoSport, the Honda HR-V, and the Buick Encore in its segment.
More from Chevrolet Trax
Find a used Chevrolet Trax for under $14990 | Check out price savings and popular options here!
Buy a new Chevrolet Trax for sale starting from $15777 | Check out the latest deals here!
2022 Chevrolet Trax Exclusive Interior and Exterior Pictures | View latest Pictures
Chevrolet Trax user complaints and problems
In the recent past, we have seen Chevrolet vehicles having several problems with multiple aspects with the most prominent ones being the powertrain, safety, and the electrical systems. Some steady selling vehicles such as the Chevrolet Suburban and the Tahoe have had a considerable number of issues with their powertrains and the safety systems. The Chevrolet Trax isn’t an exception either. If we date back to some early model years such as 2017 MY, the vehicle had a considerable number of complaints lodged against it. The Chevrolet Trax's common problems include engine issues, transmission issues, and electrical system issues.
- Power loss issue: Several Chevrolet Trax from the 2017 model year were affected by this issue. A majority of the complaints stated that while driving the vehicle would lose power and go into limp mode. Some other reports stated that while driving under cold weather conditions, the turbo system would freeze, putting the vehicle into limp mode. Repeated fixes failed to eliminate the issue and it recurred for the concerned owners.
- Vibration issue with engine cooling system malfunction: The 2018 Chevrolet Trax models had this issue in an abundance. In some instances, the vehicle would shake violently at random and further inspections would reveal several issues such as coolant leak and complete burning of engine oil. In some cases, the cooling system of the engine would fail, causing the engine to overheat and emit white smoke.
- Turbocharger crack: A single 2020 Trax model faced this issue. The complaint stated that the turbocharger of the vehicle cracked, compromising the vehicle’s ability to maintain speed.
- Airbags failing to deploy: Airbags failing to deploy has been quite a common issue with a majority of modern vehicles now. The 2017, 2018, and 2019 models of the Trax were affected by several airbag issues. A major chunk of the reports recorded states that in an event of a crash, the airbags failed to deploy even the impact was quite high and caused considerable damages to the vehicles. In an instance, the airbags sensor of the front passenger seat failed to get activated.
- Brake squeal and failure: The 2017 and 2018 models of the Chevrolet Trax faced several issues with their braking systems. Some users complained that despite getting no warning signs from the vehicle electronics, the brakes made abnormal squealing noises and failed. In some instances, the brakes would make grinding noises. There were electronic assist system failures with the vehicle as well. The complaints regarding the electronic issue stated that the traction control would malfunction, resulting in the vehicle stopping suddenly while driving.
- Multiple electronics malfunction: Modern vehicles with a bevy of electronics onboard are quite susceptible to malfunction but a carmaker is responsible for making them reliable for hassle-free daily usage. That doesn’t seem to be the case with the Chevrolet Trax. If we date back to the 2017 model year and have a look at the records, models till 2019 MY has several issues with their electronics systems. All the major complaints state that the interior electronics would fail randomly such as the driver’s information display as well as the infotainment systems would fail. In some cases, the power steering system would fail and give malfunctioning messages on the MID.
2022 Chevrolet Trax recalls
The NHTSA records regarding the complaints faced by the Chevrolet Trax till now show that it had a troubled past and there were some underlying issues present on the not-so-old 2020 model as well. The major issues were regarding the powertrain, safety systems, and electronics of the affected vehicles. The Chevrolet Trax 1.4 turbo issues were the most prevalent ones where reports were stating that the turbocharger itself would fail or get cracked. The brand did issue several recalls, but there weren’t any regarding the electrical systems and the powertrain failure issues. The airbags not deploying issue saw some recalls though and we expect Chevrolet to put in more efforts to fix the rest of the issues as well.
NHTSA Campaign ID
September 8, 2016
AIR BAGS, SEAT BELTS
Frontal Air Bags May Not Deploy
A failure of the front airbags or seat belt pretensioners to deploy in the event of a crash necessitating deployment increases the risk of injury to the driver and front passenger.
April 18, 2019
Lower-Control Arm May Separate From Vehicle
A partial separation of the lower control arm from the vehicle could cause the attached front wheel to toe outward, impacting the vehicle's handling and steering and increasing the risk of a crash.
September 12, 2019
Lower Control Arm May Separate From Vehicle
A partial separation of the lower-control arm from the vehicle could cause the attached front wheel to toe outward, impacting the vehicle's handling and steering and increasing the risk of a crash.
November 1, 2018
Air Bags may not Deploy Due to Incorrect Setting
If the airbags do not deploy in the event of a crash, it can increase the risk of injury.
What model year of the Chevrolet Trax to avoid?
As per the NHTSA records of the complaints about the Chevrolet Trax, neither of the models from the recent model years has a clean track record. Some had the infamous airbags issue while others had the electrical system issues. The issues with the turbocharger were among the most critical ones but it saw no recalls but the affected owners received repairs at the dealership level. As such, we would strongly recommend staying away from 2017, 2018, and 2019 models of the Chevrolet Trax. If you’re looking at a used 2020 Trax also, have a thorough look into the vehicle, especially for the turbo failure issues.
Should you buy a used Chevrolet Trax?
The Chevrolet Trax is among the go-to vehicle in its segment owing to its affordable price tag and compact footprint. Its tall driving position and the optional AWD system make it a compelling option and allow it to give stiff competition to its peers as well. Finding a used example on the used car lot isn’t going to be hard yet, given the vehicle’s not-so-clean history of complaints and issues, going for a used one would be a risky affair. However, if you manage to find one that is free from the aforementioned issues, it would make a high value for money purchase. you can also opt for some of the rivals of the Trax such as the Honda HR-V or the Buick Encore since both of them are quite ahead of the Trax in terms of performance and overall fit and finish levels on the inside.
2022 Chevrolet Trax for sale near youBrowse Listings
More on Chevrolet-
- The 2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Review
- All you need to know about the 2022 Chevrolet Trailblazer RS
Important 2022 Chevrolet Trax Links:
- 0-60 and Quarter Mile Times
- Towing Capacity
Is there any recalls for the 2022 Chevy Trax? ›
2022 Chevrolet Trax Recalls
There have been no safety recalls issued from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
According to a recent report from GM TechLink, units of the 2012 through 2022 Chevy Trax equipped with the turbocharged 1.4L I4 LUV gasoline engine may exhibit a loss of power or other engine performance issues in extremely cold weather.Is Chevy Trax a reliable car? ›
The 2022 Chevrolet Trax has a predicted reliability score of 83 out of 100.Why is my Chevy Trax jerking? ›
An indication that a vehicle is not receiving the right mixture of air and fuel is if the vehicle jerks or surges forward at high speed. Several components of the fuel or air intake system could cause this jerking or surging sensation to happen. Issues within these systems can also cause fuel economy to worsen.How many miles will a Trax last? ›
How long will a Chevy Trax last? The Chevy Trax can last 100,000 just as any other vehicle. However, you must regularly get an oil change and service your vehicle, and simply keep up with it. Additionally, this Chevy SUV has a good shelf life that can possibly reach 200,000 miles with routine maintenance.What kind of problems do Chevy Trax have? ›
Most of those have been regarding the suspension, but several have also mentioned the service brakes, engine, and electrical system. Those suspension and steering issues have even been known to lead to a loss of control of the car while steering, even in cars that have a relatively low mileage under their belt.Is the equinox or Trax better? ›
The Equinox and Trax offer similarly-sized engines, but the Equinox offers substantially more horsepower and torque. With shorter overall length, wheelbase, and 168 lbs. less base curb weight on the Premier AWD trim, the Trax is tuned for more agile handling, while the Equinox is built for energetic performance.Is the Trax being discontinued? ›
Chevy is replacing the old Trax subcompact SUV with a new model for 2024 that's larger, less expensive, and more attractive inside and out. The redesigned 2024 Trax starts at under $22,000 and will go on sale in the spring of 2023 serving as Chevy's new entry-level model now that the tiny Spark hatchback is gone.Are they discontinuing the Trax? ›
Production of the current Trax is coming to an end before the end of 2022.Which is better Chevy Trax LS or LT? ›
The 2021 Trax LS starts at $22,395 MSRP, while the 2021 Trax LT starts at $24,195 MSRP. While both models share the same powertrain, infotainment system, and capabilities, the LT unlocks a variety of upgrades and available packages to elevate your compact crossover SUV experience.
Whats better Trailblazer or Trax? ›
It seems odd for an automaker to offer two subcompact SUVs, particularly because in this case, one is clearly newer and superior. Both the Trailblazer and Trax have relatively weak engines, but aside from that, the Trailblazer is superior in nearly every way.How long does Chevy engine last? ›
If a Chevy is treated well and maintained regularly, it should last about 300,000 kilometres or more. When you buy a car that is known for its long life, you could use it as long as you could drive it.Why is my Chevy Trax sputtering when I accelerate? ›
Fuel injector nozzles can become clogged over time, which can lead to a sputtering engine, slow acceleration and the car not having enough power. Fuel injectors can be cleaned if the problem is caught early, but as the conditions worsens, the injectors may have to be replaced.Why does my Chevy Trax hesitate when accelerating? ›
Fuel injectors may become dirty over time and not be able to provide as much fuel to the cylinder as is needed. Dirty fuel injectors may cause the engine to run lean which will in turn, cause hesitation when accelerating.Why does my car jerk when I barely accelerate? ›
What could the problem be? An acceleration problem is usually the result of insufficient fuel, air, or spark during the combustion process. Worn-out spark plugs or the electrical cables attached to them are one of the most common causes of cars stuttering.How often does a Chevy Trax need an oil change? ›
Chevy suggests getting your 2022 Chevy Trax oil & filter changed every 3,000-5,000 miles for conventional oil. Synthetic oil usually should be changed every 7,500 - 10,000 miles.How far can a Chevy Trax go on a tank of gas? ›
The 2022 Chevrolet Trax LS 4dr SUV (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A) can be purchased for less than the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (aka MSRP) of $22,595. The average price paid for a new 2022 Chevrolet Trax LS 4dr SUV (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A) is trending $684 below the manufacturer's MSRP.Are Chevy Trax being recalled? ›
General Motors LLC (GM) is recalling certain 2017-2019 Chevrolet Trax vehicles. A joint in one or both of the front lower-control arms may have been improperly welded. An improperly welded joint may break, resulting in the partial separation of the lower-control arm from the vehicle.What cars have been recalled 2022? ›
- Ford: 67 recalls, 8,636,265 units.
- Volkswagen Group: 45 recalls, 1,040,885 units.
- Fiat-Chrysler/Stellantis: 38 recalls, 3,041,431 units.
- Mercedes-Benz: 33 recalls, 969,993 units.
What is the latest Chevy recall? ›
2023 Chevy Equinox Recalled For Passenger Airbag That May Deploy With Child Seat.What Chevy models are being recalled? ›
General Motors recalls: A full list of recalled vehicles
- CHEVROLET SILVERADO 1500 2014-2016.
- CHEVROLET TAHOE 2015-2016.
- GMC SIERRA 1500 2014-2015.